To-do lists are the best way to keep your mind from overbearing. Whether it be doing the laundry, watering the plants or reading blogs on productivity, you can remember it all using a to-do list.
Unfortunately, our phones do not come with an inbuild to-do list, so with no other option in hand, we have to search for the right app that satisfies our needs.
But then again, Play Store and App Store contain hundreds of apps. Choosing the right app that is tailored according to our need is difficult, puzzling and most-importantly time-consuming!
Don’t worry though, I’ve got your back.
Because in today’s blog post, I am going to share top 10 apps that you should definitely consider downloading.
10 Best To-Do Apps that you shouldn’t miss!
It’s important to let you know that I have arranged this list randomly. Also, the free version of most of these apps do not include advanced features. You would have to purchase the a paid plan for maximum benefit.
But, don’t let this make you underestimate the free version. They come with many useful features that may fit your needs. So let’s get rolling
nTask is an app that was created keeping the needs of both individual and team in mind. The app is simple and user-friendly. The key features of this app are:
- Designed for both Individuals and Team. Best for team.
- Simple and User-friendly interface. 3rd party integration with Zoom, Google Calendar etc.
- Create tasks and Sub-tasks, Set single-time and recurring tasks, project templates, Select multiple status for the tasks.
- 2 Factor authentication for security.
- Timesheets for tracking time tracking, Progress reports, Timelines, and Gantt Charts keeps the project on track.
- Free: You will get access to unlimited tasks, unlimited timesheets, unlimited meetings, unlimited workspaces, to-do lists, etc.
- Premium: $2.99 to unlock Gantt Charts & Projects and all the other advanced features.
- Business: $7.99 to unlock risk management, risk matrix, and permissions
- Custom plan for enterprises
- Exclusive discounts to NGO’s and early stage startups up to 33%.
- Progress Bar to track progress.
- To-Do list tasks can be assigned due dates.
- Features like time-management, Gantt Charts & projects etc. are available.
- Best for people who work in team.
- Only 100 MB of storage is available.
- There is no desktop app.
Todoist is yet another famous To-Do List app with loads of amazing features. The plus point of this app is that it comes with an AI-Powered feature called Smart Schedule that suggest the dates for scheduling and rescheduling existing tasks. Key features of this app are:
- Add single and recurring tasks, Label and color code your tasks. Set Priority levels and use the project templates to gear up your work.
- Create task from your email inboxes.
- Project sharing using powerful 3rd Party Integration.
- SMS and Email Reminders.
- Automatic Back-up that keep your data safe.
- Smart Schedule sets optimum date for scheduling and rescheduling tasks.
- Free: 5 MB of file uploads, 5 active projects, 5 collaborations per project, 3 filters and 1-week activity history.
- Premium: 300 active projects, 25 collaborations per project, 100 MB file uploads and much more.
- Business: 500 active projects, 50 collaborations per project, 100 MB file upload, admin & member roles and much more.
- Siri and Amazon Echo integration is available.
- The app doesn’t work as good as that on MAC.
- Limited Storage.
Microsoft To-Do [Completely FREE]
Microsoft To-Do list is a FREE, and cloud-based app that is integrated completely with office 365. It is an easy-to-use app with a short learning curve. The key features of this app are:
- Task reminder alerts.
- Data syncing option is available.
- Due-Date Tracking, and Color Coding option.
- Easy to use.
- Comes with Office 365 integration.
- List sharing option for collaboration.
- FREE for everyone.
- FREE for Everyone
- Can be synchronized on several devices
- Integration of office 365
- Free for everyone
- Too Simple – No advance time-management feature is available.
TickTick has pretty much all the basic feature that a to-do list should have, such as, adding tasks & subtasks, setting reminder, deadlines, adding priorities, labels etc.
However the reason why I shared this app is because it has an in-built Pomodoro timer.
Isn’t that cool?!
If you tend to forget about deadlines often, You can also set multiple reminders for a task. The app will constantly remind you the due date. The key features of this app are:
- User-friendly interface.
- Basic feature such as prioritization, adding subtasks, labels and reminders.
- Calendar view for visual people.
- Time tracking feature, apart from Pomodoro timer.
- Backup option to store and retrieve data
- Free Version: All basic time-management tools.
- Premium Version: $27.99 annual plan with features like calendar view, historical statistics etc.
- Time tracking feature along with in-built Pomodoro Timer.
- Easy to use interface.
- Features such as calendar view and customizable themes are available only with paid version.
- Cannot be integrated with other apps.
Dynalist is a simple app with clean interface which helps us to work without any distraction. You can set tags and color code tasks. The tasks can be cross-linked, marked down and sorted based on our preference.
The key features of this app are:
- Clean and simple interface
- The app helps you set dates, recurring dates
- You can integrate it with Google Calendar for task tracking
- Feature of creating unlimited tasks and attach documents easily.
- You can add tags, color code, cross-link, markdown and sort out the tasks.
- Free Version: Unlimited items and documents
- Pro Version: $9.99/user per month
- Clean and easy to use interface.
- Creating unlimited tasks and attach documents easily.
- Some issues while using the app on phone.
- No advanced features.
Habitica – Gamify your life!
This app has been specially designed for gamers among us. Not, that you need to be a literal gamer to use this, but because the interface is designed in such a way.
In this app, you will have to choose a character and every time you manage to finish a task, you’ll earn rewards and your character gets the chance to level up.
To make things even more fun, each task is converted to a role-playing game!
However, If you do not finish your tasks on time, the health of the character will retrogress.
Some key features of this apps are:
- Tags available to differentiate tasks.
- Rewards on completing a task.
- Online chat option to compete with other players.
- Task reminders to respect your deadlines.
- It’s FREE!
- Easy to use but Intriguing Interface.
- Completely FREE.
- Competition among users makes it fun.
- No in-built time-tracking option.
- You can unlock some features only once you achieve a level.
TeuxDeux [Pronounced as To-Do]
Though this app has no free version and it is available only on iOS and the web, I still decided to mention this app because it fitted all my personal criteria.
TeuxDeux is an amazing app that gives a visual perspective on the tasks that you need to get done. The basic idea is to create a list and arrange each task on the calendar.
What I love the most about this app is that if you could not finish a task assigned on a day, the task will be automatically shifted to the next day’s to-do list. Some key features of the app are:
- Sync the tasks with calendar.
- Sync with multiple devices at a given time.
- Share the list with upto 6 people.
- The tasks box can include links.
- Create recurring tasks.
- Free Trial of 30 days
- You can pay $3/month or $2/month which is billed annually.
- Friendly user-interface.
- Visual based.
- Unfinished tasks move auntomatically into next day’s list.
- No free version.
- Available only on iOS and Web.
- No build in time-tracking option.
This app is based completely on Eisenhower Matrix, where you can divide your tasks based on urgency and importance. There are 4 Ds in this method,
- Do it now: Urgent + Important
- Do it later: Urgent + less Important
- Delegate: less Urgent + Important
- Don’t do it: less Urgent + less Important
Some Key features of this app are:
- Best method to prioritize tasks.
- In-built focus timer.
- Tasks can be delegated through email triggers.
- Coud Sync for keeping the to-do list stored.
- Web App: Free
- iOS: $2.99
- Easy to prioritize tasks.
- You can choose from multiple language, including Spanish, French, Italian, Dutch, and Russian.
- In-Built timer.
- Easy and Fast.
- No android app
Asana provides you with all the basic options of a to-do list app but apart from that, it helps you to collaborate and work with your team. The key features of the app are:
- Good app for collaborators.
- Time tracking feature, with the option of assigning tasks to a particular person.
- Different workspaces available for different tasks.
- You can upload files and comment on the tasks.
- Real-time update on the tasks.
- Integration with google drive, slack, flowsana etc.
- Free Version
- Premium: $10.99 (billed annually)
- Business: $24.99 (billed annually)
- Custom plan for Enterprises
- Good for people working in a team.
- Free version has good amount of features.
- Different workspaces for different tasks.
- Paid plans are costly.
Swipes is yet another amazing app which comes with an easy-to-use and clean interface. It has enough features to be called a personal to-do list manager.
The app comes the basic in-built feature of adding tasks and subtasks. It is integrated with Gmail and Evernote. The Gmail integration converts the emails into tasks and adds it to the to-do list.
One peculiar feature that I loved about this task is the the option of snoozing the tasks. If you have too much on your plate, then you can simply swipe and limit the tasks on the list until you are ready to work on them.
The key feature of this app are:
- Reminder of tasks due date and deadlines.
- Snoozing the tasks to work on them later.
- Integration with Evernote and Gmail.
- Drag and drop option.
- Free Edition is available
- Team Edition: $7.50 per user/month.
- Minimalistic interface makes the the app aesthetic.
- Integration with Gmail and Evernote.
- No advance and powerful time-management tool.
- No calendar integration.
What makes a great to-do app?
I personally think that there are 5 most important criteria that people should keep in mind while downloading a to-do- list app. They are,
- Ability to sync with various platforms.
- Gives reminders of due dates and deadlines.
- Fast and easy to organize tasks.
- Easy-to-use and clean interface.
- Must have features to organize the tasks in many ways, such as – tags, color codes, priorities etc.
How many items should be on the to-do list?
Though you can have many subtasks, ideally, you should have only 3 major tasks on your to-do list.
But, why does the count matter, right?
Well, To-do lists are supposed to keep our mind free from the worry of unfinished tasks. Having too many items on the list can make a person overwhelmed, destroying the very purpose of creating the list.
This is just one of the common mistakes that people make while create a to-do list. So, Make sure that you read “6 most common To-Do List mistakes [+ Crucial Bonus Tip!]” before you get started.
If you are a person who prefers working in a team or an individual who requires powerful time-management features, then you should definitely go for nTask.
If you are a beginner in the productivity world then you should start with an app which has an in-built Pomodoro timer. This will teach you to maintain the workflow.
If you often find yourself in a place where you are left with unfinished tasks at the end of the day, then you should go for TeuxDeux. It automatically transfers the unfinished tasks to the next day’s list.
In a Nutshell
- nTask – For those who usually work in a team and require powerful time-management features.
- Todoist – For those who prefer simple interface with flexibility.
- Microsoft To-Do [Completely FREE] – For those who need a completely free app with simple interface to just tick off the tasks.
- TickTick – For those you need calendars and timers to get things done.
- Dynalist – For those who need simple interface with all the basic features of a to-do list.
- Habitica – Gamify your life! – For those who love to gamify their list.
- TeuxDeux [Pronounced as To-Do] – For those who are often left with unfinished tasks.
- Eisenhower – For those who prefer sorting out the tasks.
- Swipes – For those who like to snooze the tasks.